Thursday, January 10, 2019

My Wish + Things I'm Looking Forward to in 2019

The past couple of years I have posted my wish for myself and others for the upcoming year, via Neil Gaiman. My wish this year is taken from the best advice I heard this year. I have footnoted the inspiration for each piece of my wish. Here is my wish for 2019. 

1. Jonathan Van Ness
2. Stacey Abrams
3. Beth Pickens
4. Hillary Clinton via Call Your Girlfriend/Michelle Obama via Becoming

Here is my list of some things I'm looking forward to in 2019, in no particular order. 



1. Live Action Lion King
Disney has sure capitalized on remaking their classic movies as live-action. They have Dumbo, Aladdin, and Lion King coming out in 2019. Lion King is the only one I am really excited for because the cast is excellent. It features such faves as Beyonce, Donald Glover, John Oliver, and Billy Eichner.


2. Queer Eye Season 3
Queer Eye was my favorite TV show in 2018. I'm so excited to get more of the Fab 5 and in Kansas City!

3. New Music from Carly Rae Jepsen
I also had this on what I was looking forward to in 2018. She only released the single "Party For One" this year. Fingers crossed there will be an album this year. 

4. New Music from Lizzo
Lizzo also released a couple of tracks in 2018. She has said an album is coming soon, so I'm looking forward to this too. 

5. Little Women
The year 2018 marked the 150th anniversary of Little Women. There were a lot of adaptations including a movie and a mini-series. The adaptation I am most looking forward to is the Greta Gerwig adaptation coming out in 2019. It unites Greta Gerwig, Saoirse Ronan, and Timothee Chalamet from Lady Bird. Meryl Streep and Emma Watson also star in the movie. 

6. If It Makes You Happy by Claire Kann
One of my favorite books last year was Let's Talk About Love by Claire Kann. She has another YA book coming out in 2019 that features a romance, a fat protagonist, and a cooking competition. I'm in! 

7. Black Leopard, Red Wolf by Marlon James
Marlon James used to be my brother's neighbor. Publishers have described this first book in a trilogy as the "African Game of Thrones." 
 
8. Hamilton in Puerto Rico
Last year Lin-Manuel Miranda announced that he was going to bring Hamilton to Puerto Rico for a three-week run to help Puerto Rico recover from Hurricane Maria. I immediately wanted to go but didn't know if the logistics would work out. Well, I am currently in Puerto Rico and I am going to see Lin in Hamilton on Saturday. 

9. Peru
Last year, I went to South America to meet up with my friends, Tyler and Jacob, to go to Brazil. This Semana Santa I will be going to Peru with my parents. We're going to Machu Picchu, among other attractions. 

10. Ali Wong book
Ali Wong is a stand-up comic with two stand-up specials on Netflix. In both of her stand-up specials, she was pregnant. This year she is releasing a book with essays that are in the form of letters of advice to her daughters. I'm ready for some funny and insightful advice from Ali Wong. 

11. The Bride Test by Helen Hoang
Helen Hoang wrote one of my favorite books in 2018. The Bride Test is about a Vietnamese man with ASD whose mom arranges a marriage for him with a mixed-race girl from Ho Chi Minh City. I'm banking that it will be equally swoony and steamy as her first book.

12. Furious Hours: Murder, Fraud, and the Last Trial of Harper Lee by Casey Cep
I knew Harper Lee helped Truman Capote research In Cold Blood. What I didn't know was that Harper Lee worked to cover the trial of a reverend serial killer in Alabama as her own In Cold Blood. This book covers "the shocking murders to the courtroom drama to the racial politics of the Deep South. At the same time, she offers a deeply moving portrait of one of the country's most beloved writers and her struggle with fame, success, and the mystery of artistic creativity." 

13. Believed podcast
This podcast is already out. It tells the story of how women won the conviction of Larry Nassar and how it was possible that his abuse of power lasted so long. 

14. This is Love podcast
This podcast has already put out two seasons, but I am hoping to listen to it in 2019. It is made by the same people who made Criminal. It looks at love in all of its facets. 

15. Us
This is the second film written and directed by Jordan Peele. I thought Get Out was incredibly well done. This looks more on the horror side of psychological horror-thriller. I'm interested though. 

16. Veronica Mars TV Reboot
The TV show Veronica Mars checked off many of my boxes of things I look for in TV shows. It features a strong, smart female lead, it was set in high school, it had mystery/noir, and it was heavy in class issues. They Kickstarted a movie and wrote two books. I will always take more Veronica Mars though. I was very excited when Hulu picked it up for a limited eight-episode series. 

17. Miss. Fisher And the Crypt of Tears
Miss. Fisher's Murder Mysteries is an Australian TV show that also satisfied my strong female lead/mysteries itch. They also kickstarted a movie, which I hope will be available to view in 2019. I'm ready to see more of these characters.

18. Shrill
This TV show is loosely based off of the Lindy West book of the same name. It stars Aidy Bryant who "plays Annie, a fat, young woman who wants to change her life, but not her body. The current statistic is that 67% of women in the United States are a size 14 or greater. They make up less than 2% of what is seen in media. I'm excited for some fat representation that doesn't revolve around weight loss. 

19. Central Park Five
Ava DuVernay is creating, writing, and directing a drama based on the Central Park Five case. I'm looking forward to seeing how it is dramatized in DuVernay's capable hands. 

20. TV Finales 
This year many TV shows I've watched off-and-on will be ending, including Broad City, Jane the Virgin, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, You're The Worst, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, Orange is the New Black, and Brooklyn Nine-Nine. I'll be along for the ride to see if they get a fitting ending.

21. Kristen Visit
My friend Kristen is coming to visit me in El Salvador. I'm so excited!!!!

21. New and Old in El Salvador
Outside of school, I have developed a weekly routine in El Salvador. On Mondays, I go play ultimate frisbee at the British school. On Thursdays, I go play Dungeons and Dragons. There's also at least one hockey game thrown in the week too. I'm excited to keep these routines. There's also a list of things that I would like to do in El Salvador before I leave in June, so I'm excited to do even more exploring. 

No comments:

Post a Comment