Wednesday, May 25, 2016

What I'll Miss About Living in the Cities



 A couple of weeks ago, I drove past a banner for a food truck festival happening close to where I live. It is in July after I will already be gone. This past weekend the local radio stations were giving away tickets for the upcoming, just announced Sia concert. I want to go to there! I looked up the date, she isn't coming until October. Something else I will miss. The closer my departure date gets, the more events I seem to become aware of that I will miss. I don't have a case of FOMO though. I realize that I will get to do lots of fun things in Taiwan. Instead, I find myself going to miss the place that offers all of these experiences. 

This past weekend I had a busy weekend experiencing some of the many things the Twin Cities has to offer. I went to ukulele jam, the Little Free Library Festival, and a St. Paul Saints game with my parents. 

In the seventh grade, for some reason I was slightly obsessed with ukuleles. My brother gave me one for Christmas that year. I tried to learn, but eventually it got put away in my closet . . . for ten years. When I moved to the Cities, I took a ukulele class through community ed. Following, I graduated to Ukulele II. This winter I started Uke Jam, which is a community education class for anyone who just wants to come and, well, jam on the uke. We play a wide variety of music from old folk songs to Hank Williams (lots of Hank Williams) to the Beatles. It is a group of mostly women, of all ages who come to play and sing. It is usually one of the highlights of my week. This Saturday was my last jam session. I am going to miss everyone who comes to the jam sessions and just playing. Yet another aspect of the Cities I am going to miss. 

At the Little Free Library Festival there was bike races, literary dog costume contests, and food trucks(!). Volunteers also worked to build 100 Little Free Libraries. By the time we got there, there was only one left to build. 

My parents helping build a Little Free Library this weekend at the Little Free Library Festival. 
Afterwards we went to a St. Paul Saints game. The stadium has a more laid back vibe to it than a Twin's game. The players and crew seemed to be having fun and not taking themselves too seriously. It was Star Wars night, which meant that there were Star Wars characters around the stadium. The Saints also have a yearly pig mascot. This year the pig is named Little Red Porkette, after Prince.  They also have a player named Hamburger. No Bill Murray sightings though. 

A game played at the Saints game this weekend. Complete with Stormtroopers. 

Another great weekend in the Cities! I'm going to miss this place. 


No comments:

Post a Comment